FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

What is a consortium?

A consortium is a partnership of higher education institutions, aimed at jointly implementing a project (in this case a mobility scheme between Europe, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay).

Is there a minimum or a maximum age set out to be an applicant to MUNDUS 17?

The Guidelines set out by the programme do not establish a minimum or maximum age to be an applicant. However, undergraduate students must have successfully completed at least one year of studies at higher education level. It is also important to point out that all the eligibility criteria are minimums set out by the programme’s coordination, which does not mean that each home institution may not establish more restricted criteria. Therefore, please ask for further information at your home institution.

Which courses can I take abroad?

The priority fields of study established by the European Commission for this project are the following:
01. Agriculture Sciences; 05. Education, Teacher Training; 06. Engineering, Technology; 12. Medical Sciences; 13. Natural Sciences; e 14. Social Sciences.

At times, it might be the case that you won’t be attending courses at the host institution, but rather doing individual internships, research or design work. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you should visit each partner institution’s website and pay attention to the language of instruction. The choice of the course at the host institution shall have in consideration the language of instruction.

Do you charge tuition fees?

Mobility under 10 months has a fee waiver policy, which means that the scholarship holders will only pay their registration fees at home institution and no fees at the host institution. In all other cases, the maximum fee for incoming students is limited to:
- EUR 3.000 per academic year and student;
- EUR 5.000 for specialised post-doctorate studies.
Fees cannot be charged to post-doctorate mobility for research purposes. A small fee may be charged to the incoming students by the host institution to cover additional library, student unions, laboratory consumables, etc., on an equal basis as the local students. Under no circumstances may participating institutions claim tuition/registration fees from visiting students beyond the amounts indicated in the previous paragraphs or retain the funding foreseen as subsistence allowance to cover such fees.

The MUNDUS 17 project has provided in its budget sufficient funds to support this expenditure, so that no scholarship holder, regardless of type or duration of their mobility won’t have to pay any registration fee.

Is there any kind of degree offered at the end of the mobility period?

Students won’t receive any diploma, since they’re going abroad for a period covering only a part of the curriculum required for a degree (6/10 months). Therefore, they will receive a “transcript of records” from the host institution, which will then be used by the home institution to recognise the period abroad as part of the general curriculum required for obtaining the final degree.
In case of undergraduate/1st cycle mobility (6 months), no degree will be offered by the host institution.
In case of master mobility (10 months), no degree will be offered by the host institution.
In case of academic staff mobility (1 month) and post-doctorate mobility (10 months), no degree will be offered.
In case of sandwich doctorate mobility (6 or 10 months), no degree will be offered by the host institution and the degree and diplomas will be received at the home institution.
In case of full master students (20 months) and full doctorate students (34 months), the scholarship holders will complete the whole curriculum and will obtain the degree in the host institution.

Can European students receive scholarships from other European Community programmes?

The MUNDUS 17 applicants can receive scholarships from other European Community programmes, but not at the same time. Therefore, if a student is benefiting at the moment from a grant for the same purposes, he cannot apply to another grant from a different programme. However, if a student has benefited from another grant in the past, and this grant has come to an end, he/she may receive a grant.

How will I receive my grant?

Each student, researcher and member of academic staff will receive his/her scholarship (which is already preset, in accordance with the type of mobility) on the expected date of arrival at the host institution. The first instalment will include an amount corresponding to two months (1st and last of the mobility), and the subsequent instalments will be done in a monthly basis.

How can I obtain the visa?

You must obtain your visa in your home country, via the embassy of the country of the host institution where you will be doing mobility. You should be aware that it may take more than two months to obtain the visa, so contact the embassy as soon as you receive the confirmation that you have been accepted by the host institution.

Can nationals from Brazil, Paraguay or Uruguay living in Europe apply for a scholarship?

No, they can’t, because they must be registered at one of the Brazilian, Paraguayan or Uruguay partner institutions.

What about insurance?

The programme coordination will provide health, accident and travel insurance cover to each scholarship holder, according to the specific requirements set forth by the guidelines for applicants. Before the beginning of the mobility, the scholarship holders will receive from the coordinating institution the details of the insurance cover, as well as the policy number and the contacts of the insurer in the host country.

Can I benefit from more than one mobility flow?

No, you can only benefit from one mobility flow in the MUNDUS 17 project.

Which facilities will I be offered abroad?

The International Office at your host institution will provide you all the information you need regarding accommodation, language support, social life, cost of living and administrative procedures. We strongly recommend a direct contact with the contact person of the host university in order to know exactly the facilities available for incoming international students.

When must I spend my period abroad?

According to the Guidelines, all mobility flows have to start before 1 September 2010.
Student mobility (up to 10 months) shall begin in the European second semester which corresponds to the first semester in Latin America (February 2010).
Full doctorate mobility (34 months) can begin as soon as possible, preferably during 2009.
Staff mobility (1 month) and researchers’ mobility (10 months) can begin anytime, as long as it respects the beginning of the mobility: 1 September 2009.
The start of all MUNDUS 17 mobility flows will be agreed upon the candidate and the home and host institutions.

Is inter-European or inter-Third-country mobility allowed?

No, that is not allowed. The mobility flows only have two possible types of flow: from Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay to Europe and from Europe to Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.

How will the selection be done?

The application selection procedure comprises the following steps:
-Validation of the application by the home institution
-Analysis and acceptance of the application by the host institutions selected by the applicants in the application form
-Ranking of all accepted applicants, based on the criteria defined in the “Guidelines”
-Analysis of the Scientific Committee appointed by the consortium which will decide according to the ranking and the fundamental principles of genre equality and geographic and partners equilibrium.

As a way of increasing the success of the application, it is recommended that the candidates select 3 different Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)..

I am a MUNDUS 17 exchange student. Is there a need for a bilateral agreement between my home and host institutions?

No, not at all, because home and host institutions have already signed an agreement, approved by the European Commission, which replaces the usual bilateral agreement.

Do I have to speak the official language of the Higher Education Institutions to which I apply, or only English?

The programme Guidelines establishes that you must have sufficient knowledge of the official language of the selected institutions. This means that if the courses are taught in English, that will be enough; if, on the contrary, the host institution demands another language, you will have to meet that demand, and include a proof of language proficiency in your application, otherwise you won’t be eligible for mobility. It is very important to confirm if the proof of language proficiency is mandatory. You can obtain that information asking directly the contact person of the institution or consulting the academic offer on the consortium website.

How can I be sure that my home institution will recognise the studies undertaken at the host institution?

All partner institution will sign a learning agreement, prior to the mobility (undergraduate and master students’ mobility up to 10 months), in which they commit themselves to the formal recognition of studies and where the subjects and activities to be undertaken in the host institution are identified, as well as the subjects and activities equivalent in the home institution.

If I’m not selected by any of the three HEIs I applied to, is there any other chance of doing the mobility?

In case of not being selected by the chosen HEIs, the applicant may still be contacted by the project coordinator, which may propose another academic offer/course that still has places available. Since this contact will be made via email, please make sure that you indicate your most frequently checked email in the application form.

Concerning accommodation, do I have to find a place myself, or is it the host institution’s responsibility to provide one to the scholarship holder?

The host institutions will send all the available information concerning accommodation to the candidate, be it private housing or guesthouse. However, this is a matter to be discussed between the scholarship holder and the institution after the acceptance of the applicant by the host institution.

What if the travel costs exceed the amount paid for the scholarship?

The amount provided by the scholarship to cover travel costs is directly related to the linear distance between the applicant’s home and host institution and includes a return ticket. In our experience this amount is sufficient to cover all the travel related expenses. If the costs exceed the amount set out by the European Commission, the difference will have to be covered by the scholarship holder, who can use the monthly scholarship to cover the difference.

Is it possible to finish the mobility period before the estimated deadline? If so, which consequences may be implied?

The possibility of the anticipation of the return date is not predicted. However, situations may occur where the anticipation of the return date is a case of force majeure. These situations need to be formally communicated to the coordination and the home and host institutions, which will analyse them, case by case, and then determine if the principle of force majeure is applicable.
Regardless of this aspect, the anticipation of the return implies the immediate suspension of the scholarship.
In the cases where the principle of force majeure is not applicable, the applicant will have to comply with the scholarship agreement signed prior to the mobility and will have to support the costs referring to the return travel.
In both cases and depending on your home institution and the time you spent abroad, your studies may not be recognised by your home institution.

I just want to apply to the University of Porto. May I fill in the application form and attach the documents in Portuguese?

Although you just want to apply for a scholarship to undertake a mobility period in the University of Porto, you must fill in the application form and attach the required documents in English, so that the Members of the Scientific Committee (a Committee comprising professors of various European partner Institutions) may understand the information contained therein.

I just want to apply to the University of Valladolid and to the Technical University of Valencia. May I fill in the application form and attach the documents in Spanish?

Although you just want to apply for a scholarship to undertake a mobility period in a Spanish University, you must fill in the application form and attach the required documents in English, so that the Members of the Scientific Committee (a Committee comprising professors of various European partner Institutions) may understand the information contained therein.

My home institution does not provide the official documents in English. May I attach them in the original version?

All the documents required to submit successfully your application must be in English, in order that the partner Institutions understand the information contained therein.
If your home Institution does not provide the required documents in an English version, you should approach the contact person in your home Institution so that he/she informs you about the best way to arrange a certified translation of the official documents.
It might be the applicant himself to translate the document; however, this translation must be certified by the home institution, which will guarantee that the translation is a true copy of the original. It is the home Institution’s responsibility to certify that all documents are true copies, so please contact the contact person of your University. The contact details are available in the section “Contacts” of the consortium’s website http://mundus17.up.pt.

Shall I define the subjects I wish to attend/work programme I wish to develop in the host Institution in the moment I fill in the application form, or is that something to be done later on?

When you fill in your application form, you shall only choose the course/subject area within which you intend to do your mobility period.
If you are an undergraduate, master or doctorate student, a learning agreement (academic recognition agreement) between your home and host Institutions will be done after your selection, and only in this moment you will have to choose the subjects you wish to attend. This learning agreement will identify the subjects that the applicant will attend in the host institution and the equivalent subjects in the home institution. The contact persons of the home and host institutions shall help the applicant in filling in this document, guiding him through the choice of the most suitable subjects available in the host institution. Eventually, you might choose subjects of other academic areas, but within the same course and the same semester.
If you are a post-doctorate researcher or member of academic staff, your research/work proposal will also be arranged after your formal acceptance by the host Institution and shall also be defined in a close link with the contact persons of the home and host institutions, that shall help the applicant in choosing the most suitable subjects available in the host institution.

What kind of information must be given in the support document of my home Institution, and who must write it?

The support document, which must be written in English, may be prepared by the applicant’s department, by his faculty, by the teacher responsible for the degree in which the applicant is enrolled in the home Institution, or by someone of the University, at a central level. However, it is expected that each home Institution determines the person or entity responsible for writing the support letter. Therefore, we strongly recommend approaching the contact person of the home institution to clarify this matter. Applicants should ask the contact person of their home Institution for information about the best procedure to follow regarding this issue, and whom should they ask to write their statement of support.
The statement of support is vital for the application procedure. Through this document, the person responsible for the applicant’s training states confirms that the applicant fulfils all the required criteria and is able to apply to a mobility scholarship within the project.

I have finished my doctorate degree more than two years ago and I would like to apply for a post-doctorate scholarship to Latin America. Am I eligible for application to a MUNDUS17 scholarship?

One of the required criteria for European post-doctorate eligibility is to have been awarded with the doctoral degree in the last two years.  If you have been awarded with the doctoral degree more than two years ago, you are not eligible for application to a scholarship under the MUNDUS17 programme.

I will only finish my master after the submission application deadline. Can I apply to a doctorate scholarship?

All applicants should have finished the degree to be eligible for application to a full scholarship For example; a master student can only apply to a doctorate scholarship if he/she has already been awarded with the master degree prior to the submission deadline.

I forgot my password. How can I get it back?

In case you have already writen your e-mail in the application form, you can press the "Forgot your password?" link, fill in your username, and the password will be sent to the e-mail indicated. Otherwise, the system cannot recover your password and you will have to create a new register.


This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This communication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.